Our policy is that all children at Balaam Wood should maintain an appearance that is smart, including sensible hairstyles and clothing that is in keeping with a purposeful learning ethos.
We also believe that certain school activities are facilitated by specialised and appropriate clothing (including organised events outside normal school hours).
Please help us to keep to our high standard of dress by ensuring that you buy the correct uniform for your child and that s/he wears it to school every day.
We reserve the right to confiscate items that do not form part of the school uniform and pupils may be sent home to change if their uniform and/or appearance is unacceptable.
The wearing of school uniform is something we hope all pupils will take pride in and parents are requested to make every effort to ensure their child(ren) arrive in school dressed accordingly. Our policy is based on the belief that a school uniform:
- Promotes a sense of pride in the school
engenders a feeling of belonging
- Is practical and distinctive
- Identifies the children with the school
- Is not distracting in class (as fashion clothing might be)
- Makes children feel equal to one another in terms of appearance
- Reflects the sense both of community and of diversity that the school takes pride in
- Is regarded as suitable, and good value for money, by most parents.
Blazer: Black with Balaam Wood Logo, sleeves rolled down.
Jumper: Grey with Balaam Wood blue stripe.
Shirt: Plain white, tucked in at all times (This will button up to the neck and be suitable for wearing with a tie)
Shoes: Black Leather or leather look (No trainers of any kind, please see guidance slides)
Tie: Blue striped.
Trousers: Black School tailored trousers (No flared trousers, turn ups, skinny, leggings, hipsters, black jeans or jeggings)
Skirt: Black Skirt (Not tight or mini)
Socks/Tights: Black or Grey.
- Pupils outer wear/coats are not to be worn in the school
- Blazers are to be worn at all times unless given permission by a member of staff to remove.
- Must be a suitable size to carry books and equipment
- No handbags.
- Parent Pupil Planner (Lost planners must be replaced at charge of £1.50)
Pencil case with a minimum of:
- Black pens
- Blue pens
- Must not be excessive (pupils will be asked to remove excessive makeup)
- No nail varnish
- No false nails, acrylics
- Watches are permitted
- No facial piercings, tongue piercings, including retainers
- Only one pair of earrings and these must be studs
- No other jewellery is permitted this includes, bracelets, necklaces and rings
- Must be smart in appearance, no lines or patterns shaved into the hair
- No extreme changes in hair colour
- No large hair accessories
Non-Compliance of Uniform
Teachers can discipline pupils for breaching the school’s rules on appearance or uniform. This should be carried out in accordance with the school’s published behaviour policy.
A head teacher, or a person authorised by the head teacher, may ask a pupil to go home briefly to remedy a breach of the school’s rules on appearance or uniform.
When making this decision schools need to consider the child’s age and vulnerability, the ease and time it will take, and the availability of the child’s parents. This is not an exclusion but an authorised absence. However, if the pupil continues to breach uniform rules in such a way as to be sent home to avoid school, or takes longer than is strictly necessary to effect the change, the pupil’s absence may be counted as an unauthorised absence. In either case the pupil’s parents must be notified and the absence should be recorded.
Examples of Acceptable Trousers
Black School approved, tailored trousers, not fashion trousers or jeans.
Examples of Unacceptable Trousers
No flared trousers, turn ups, skinny, leggings, hipsters, black jeans or jeggings.
Examples of Acceptable Skirts
Examples of Unacceptable Skirts
No tight or mini skirts.
Examples of Acceptable Shoes
Examples of Unacceptable Shoes
No trainers of any kind, no boots above the ankle, no coloured shoes /boots including the soles.
Examples of Acceptable Boots
To be worn only with trousers , that can cover the ankle.